Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2006 01:08:11 -0800
From:      Christopher Cowart <ccowart@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
To:        Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@wlink.com.np>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Local DNS Caching not caching on external interface

--d8Lz2Tf5e5STOWUP

On 14:57 Thu 14 Dec     , Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
> Dear All,
>=20
> I am very new to Bind and FreeBSD.
>=20
> I have just configured a Local DNS server using the built-in Bind 9.3.1
> on a FreeBSD 5.4 machine.
>=20
> My problem is that the machine can cache queries on the localhost and
> loop back (127.0.0.1) interface only.
>=20
> I have a public static IP on this machine too and I can't seem to query
> the caching name server from my local network.
>=20
> In Linux, this is no problem. I just can't seem to get Bind to work as
> in my local network. It works only on the loopback interface.

The default /etc/namedb/named.conf configuration file for BIND says:

| // If named is being used only as a local resolver, this is a safe defaul=
t.
| // For named to be accessible to the network, comment this option, specify
| // the proper IP address, or delete this option.
|     listen-on   { 127.0.0.1; };

It looks like if you comment out that option, it will listen on * by
default. You could also add the other IP address on which you want named
to listen.

--=20
Chris Cowart
Network and Infrastructure Systems Administrator
RSSP-IT, UC Berkeley
"May all your pushes be popped"

--d8Lz2Tf5e5STOWUP

--d8Lz2Tf5e5STOWUP--