Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:17:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Barkley Vowk <bvowk@math.ualberta.ca>
To:        Andrew Hotlab <andrew.hotlab@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Areca ARC-1120 on FreeBSD 7.0

--521322318-431800675-1218557878=:5198

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Andrew Hotlab wrote:

> My card has no battery backup, but I disconnected the machine power cord =
and pulled
> the card off itsPCI-X slot.
>
> After few minutes I reconnected the card and I booted the machine without=
 any
> hard drive. Then the same issue arised with the 7.0-RELEASE.

Did you reset the raid configurations? I've had this problem several times=
=20
with machines that have run the cards in Windows prior running FreeBSD.

>> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:09:04 -0600
>> From: bvowk@math.ualberta.ca
>> To: andrew.hotlab@hotmail.com
>> Subject: Re: Areca ARC-1120 on FreeBSD 7.0
>>
>> Pull the battery from the unit and reset the configuration. Reconnect th=
>> battery when the system boots FreeBSD properly.

>> Barkley C. Vowk -- Systems Analyst -- University of Alberta
>> Math Sciences Department - Barkley.Vowk@math.ualberta.ca
>> Office: CAB642A, 780-492-4064
>>
>> Opinions expressed are the responsibility of the author and
>> may not reflect the opinions of others or reality.
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Andrew Hotlab wrote:
>>

>>> Hi to all. I've finally convinced my IT manager to replace a MSFT Windo=
ws Server Virtual Server host with
>>> a FreeBSD 7 jail host. Obviously, before proposing this change I checke=
d that our hardware was supported
>>> by the FreeBSD platform, but as soon as I boot the FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE/=
amd64 CD-ROM the systems
>>> hangs!
>>>
>>> I also tried the i386 version of the same release experiencing the same=
 trouble. By using a 6.3-RELEASE
>>> CD-ROM all works well (excluding some warnings still showing during the=
 boot). I compared the source files
>>> of the driver arcmsr(4) without finding any real difference: both of th=
em are at the 1.20.00.15 revision, but
>>> I'm not a very experienced FreeBSD sysadmin (yet!), and I need at least=
 your opinions about this trouble!

>>> I think the most complete set of informations I can give you are the ve=
rbose boot logs of both the 6.3 and
>>> 7.0 releases (sorry for the log post), but I'm ready to submit whatever=
 data you want... please help me to
>>> put Windows out of my datacenter! :)

> Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger=A0
> http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=3Den-us&sou=
rce=3Dwlmailtagline
--521322318-431800675-1218557878=:5198--