Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 01:01:34 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        phil grainger <freebsd@pronet.net.au>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I don't even read unix review ...

phil grainger wrote:

> but I can't blaim them if there advertisers are saying go with NT
> stories/product reviews.
> the commercial unix market is pretty tightly controlled.
> after all, where would advocating freebsd get them ?
> a lot of p$%^&-off advertisers ...
> does WC even advertise in it ?
> phil

The decisions aren't as simple as that.  There are already a handful of
NT rags, and very few remaining UNIX zines.  The argument lies more
along the lines of "We can stay with the UNIX crowd, and get declining
ad revenues, or we can jump in with the NT crowd and try not to disappear
in the noise."

Every other magazine that has tried this approach in the past 3 years
has died much more quickly and mercifully than they really deserved,
starting with the "UNIX Today" -> "Open Systems Today" toilet paper
weekly.  They were so far off base they changed their name for "Open
VMS", for all the good it did either them OR the Vomit Making System.

So, the choices are:

Remain the premier UNIX monthly journal, keep the editorial standards
high (compared to the rest of the morons in this industry), and do
our best to keep the ad revenues inline with the readership, or

Spend 6 months or less getting completely ignored because now we're
competing with the likes of the Ziff-Davis juggernaut, the publishing
arm of the Evil Wintel Hegemony (sorry, Brett, but it's true!), and
then disappear forever into the winter of our own ignorance and greed.