Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 14:16:36 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (2nd iteration) New /dev/(random|null|zero) - review, please

Mark Murray wrote:

> [ Sent to arch at the suggestion of David O'Brien ]
> (Some improvements have been done - 2nd iteration)
>
> Hi
>
> I have finished doing a MI /dev/null and /dev/zero, and I have got a
> new /dev/random. I'm looking for reviewers.

I've already submitted a MI /dev/[null|zero] for commit to PHK. He
said he would commit them after testing. It's the same driver you
have already seen at  http://jeroen.vangelderen.org/FreeBSD .

> o The random number generator will give random-looking output, but does
>   absolutely no harvesting of entropy at the moment. Because I want
>   it to be a loadable module, I need some way of registering the entropy
>   harvesting routines. Something like weak-symboled routines that are
>   overridden when the module is loaded would be ideal. Suggestions?

Split-level. Entropy sources should export an entropy device. Yarrow
should bind to all available entropy devices and use those. This would
allow for
- entropy devices in KLDs.
- dynamic addition/removal of entropy sources (USB).
- separation of RNG policy (Yarrow) from entropy gathering.
- dynamic IRQs not affecting RNG security.

> o The RNG is slow; the others are much faster than their originals.

Can be tweaked. Use a 256-bit cipher like Rijndael and build a hash
out of it. Would improve security too as the entropy pool would hold
256 bits. You can also pre-generate a few KB of random bits.

Cheers,
Jeroen
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen          o      _     _         _
jeroen@vangelderen.org  _o     /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)