Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:20:50 -0600
From:      "Mark Evans" <mbe2@bayou.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ls -l takes a forever to finish.

ls | wc=20

returns "   8836    8836   71583"

Thanks
Mark
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jeff Mohler=20
  To: Mark Evans=20
  Cc: questions@freebsd.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:52 AM

  HOW large is the directory?

  ls | wc -l    =20

  On Nov 28, 2007 7:44 AM, Mark Evans <mbe2@bayou.com> wrote:

    No we are not using NIS.

    it is a large directory i am listing.  actually it is the /usr/home
    directory, and is probably the largest on the system. However "ls =
-l" runs
    for close to six minutesand spends the 10 seconds scrolling the =
screen with=20
    the results.  so i wait ls to start showing the results for about 5 =
and a
    half minutes.   Even on a older and much slower system i've never =
seen it
    talk more than 15 seconds to complete.

    Thanks
    Mark