Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 12:40:30 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        conrads@neosoft.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE64 - awe0 not detected, but sbmidi0 and snd0 are detected

Thanks to Conrad and Mark, I have a working system.

> > I have a a PnP AWE 64 Value (the 512k version without the SPDIF port).
> >
> > The AWE driver is not detecting the card. However the wave and midi
> > devices are detected and playing wave files works fine.
> >
> > pnpinfo says the WaveTable is on 0x620. I noticed the
> > Win95 driver uses 620 a20 and e20 and there was something in the
> > linux FAQ about ensuring the PnP had picked up on a20 and e20.
>
> That's right, you have to be sure to enable all three of the AWE ports in
> your PnP (boot) config.
>
> pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x620 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20
>
>as well as, of course, the "main" device:
> pnp 1 0 os enable irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port0 0x220 port1 0x330 port2 0x388

I added USERCONFIG to my boot options, built a new kernel, booted with
-c
and entered
pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x620 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20
and the AWE driver now detects the card.

I did not need to add the second line for the "main" device as the PnP
had
picked them up.

Thanks for getting my AWE64 working.

Roger Hardiman,
University of Strathclyde Telepresence Group
roger@cs.strath.ac.uk