Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:29:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Phil Homewood <philh@mincom.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root shell/toor shell

Each shell has its own set of files that it reads, and some
syntax unique to it.  zsh should be reading .profile, but not
.cshrc.  It reads .zshrc.

It is convenient to make text copies of zsh's man pages and put
them in a directory where you can search them for key words, since
they are long.

Since there are times when you may specifically want to use a
particular shell, I don't think calling a different shell
automatically is a very good idea.

I think a good way to get at changing root's shell is to first
set up toor with (the default) sh shell, give toor a password,
and make sure it works.  Then you can change root's shell to your
preference with the security of a working back-up.

I have zsh set up so that when I su to root, the prompt changes
to so indicate, but the history from the user is maintained.  This
only works with the older version of zsh.

	Annelise