Date:      Thu, 07 May 1998 08:06:49 +0700
From:      jahan <jahan@pc.jaring.my>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Socket 7 motherboards

No,I am not hardware expert.I am just sayin, can we really beleive any magazine
now a days ? suffered a lot abt those kind of news( like phd hard disk lying
down under my table with 250MB storage capacity, acer mpeg card also joined phd,
all working condition). Greg, I am just a software eng. c/c++ . Sale installed
setuped fbsd server. ( and each time I get funny funny errors when I install
from 2.2.1 cdrom and cvsupped source, now I am getting the "yak, yacc
problem".). By the way I am from AT&T UNIX rel 4 back ground , but not from
kernel level hacking.or Hardware level setting.

Abt the Norton thing, I am just saying that nowadays cannot just trust
newspapers, as mostly they dont publish it for free . And most Newspapers or
organizations are good cuz of few handful good ppl. (hence pete's eg.)

I remember the CUJ, DDJ, at the begining it was the mine for info. Later it
became very light ( in info).

Jahan
"Whatever expressed here is my opninion but defamation."

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thu,  7 May 1998 at  3:16:06 +0700, jahan wrote:
> > Greg Lehey wrote:

> > cut cut sniff sniff
> >
> >> The German c't magazine recently tested a number of motherboards with
> >> non-Intel chipsets.
> >
> > Those who tested are they qualified  ? !!
>
> Yes.
>
> > German magazine or pc magazine or Any Mumbo Jumbo Magazin does not
> > qualify as quality tester.
>
> And you do?

I wish I do.But not.

> > Consider Peter Norton opening a news magazine and testing all kinds of
> > things and making text mouse pointers etc. Then Peter dies or sales the
> > magazine ( sorry Pete ). Now, will that magazine have the same quality ?
>
> I don't know what your comparison with Peter Norton means.  I suspect
> it means you don't understand the issues at hand.
>
> > Feel free to give your comment.
>
> I shall.  In my opinion, c't has the highest quality tests I have seen
> anywhere.  They have an in-depth understanding of the technology and
> the issues involved.  They're not afraid of publishing their results
> even if they show the product up in a bad light--for example, they
> have really slated some big name brands, and in one case, despite
> court injunctions, they pointed out that a specific software product
> was completely useless.

Really ?

>  They won the court case, and I think the
> vendor went out of business.

chu chu

> c't has produced consistently excellent reports for about 10 years
> now, and I've been subscribed for 15.  They have two or three people
> who handle low-level hardware (in particular, Andreas Stiller and
> Georg Schnürer).  Unlike a number of US magazines, I don't see a
> decline in quality yet.  When I do, I will take appropriate action.
>
> > So in this century, I say "NO  brands". Lets check what is made of. not
> > who made this.
>
> What will you do in 20 months' time?

Well, I don't know ( he he), I use p75 + 32 ram fbsd server, its too fast
arredy, p133+32 ram for Windows NT ws. And Mr samba is serving me well too. So
all my data is in server.

> > For example, the rise thing. it is same as asus spv7, looking at
> > chipset.
>
> Well, it's probably closer to the SP98AGP-X.
>
> > what will it make better ?
>
> I didn't say it was better.  I just reported the brand.  You're right,
> though, they're very similar.  The only difference I note is that the
> Asus board has the choice of 3.3/3.4/3.5V V I/O, whereas the Rise
> board only has 3.4V.  Also the Asus board is ATX form factor, which I
> can't use, and the Rise board is AT form factor.  It's possible that
> Asus make an AT board as well, but I didn't find either board where I
> was looking.  Where would you go to buy a motherboard?  Which boards
> are available?  What do they cost?
>
> > cuz of bios ?
>
> No, FreeBSD doesn't use the BIOS.  Anyway, both boards appear to have
> essentially the same BIOS.

Thank you for sharing. cuz most ppl who sales, knows ONLY the price and big
price tag.And ofcourse they can't really answer our questions. We can't test
too.