Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:03:54 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to set virtual screen smaller than physical screen

--juwRYO7N74otsfNI

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 11:23:05AM +0200, Willie Viljoen wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 11:20, someone, possibly LEE TIAM KEAN, typ=
ed:
> > Hi,
> > i'm a beginner in Freebsd. I've set up x windows successfully but i fou=
nd
> > that the screen is larger than my monitor. i've tried the xf86config
> > again by answering no when prompted with "Want virtual screen larger th=
an
> > physical screen?". it still unsuccessful. Any other thing that i've
> > missed out? I'm using version 4.7 of the FreeBSD. Thanks
>=20
> Try configuring it with XFree86 -configure
>=20
> Will

Or you could manually edit your XF86Config file (probably at
/etc/X11/XF86Config).  Look for the section labeled "Screen".  If you
have a default color depth specified then jump down to the subsection
for that color depth and add a 'Virtual' directive.  Such as:

Virtual		1024 768

See the XF86Config(5) manpage for more info.  By default, X will give
you a virtual screen as large as the largest 'Mode' you have listed -
even if that Mode is not the one currently in use.

Nathan

--=20
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C
http://63.105.21.156/gpg_nkinkade_4250A04C.asc

--juwRYO7N74otsfNI

--juwRYO7N74otsfNI--