Date:      16 Jul 2000 16:24:04 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk Space Usage

Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com> writes:

> 	Ok this question is meant mostly clarify in my mind how this
> works. Say I have an 8 gig and a 13 gig drive. I mount /usr on the 8 gig,
> along with /, /var, /tmp, etc. I then mount /home on the 13 gig drive. How
> are files handled if I write into /home? Is based upon which drive has the
> most free room? Or does it try to fill up the 8 gig drive first? Assuming
> these are IDE drives, does it matter which controller and position they're
> in (slave/mater.) Thanks in advance!

I'm a bit green too so you can take this for what it is worth.

If you mount home on a separate 13gig drive, any files written to home
will go directly there (ie to the 13gig drive) and will have nothing
to do with the other one, regardless of usage conditions (fullness).
Assuming your home slice doesn't overlap both drives and it has room
on it.  If it doesn't have room you will get a `device full' message.

The other drive just doesn't enter the picture.

The position  the drives are in should not matter at all.  Although
given a choice I'd put /boot and "/" on first master.