Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 1995 02:52:35 -0800
From:      "D. Gerasimatos" <dim@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Questions (mostly upgrading from 1.1.5.1)

	First two questions are simple:

        1) Where can I find  mosaic binaries for 1.1.5.1 or even 2.0-2.1?
           I haven't seen any in ages (but I have one for 1.1.5.1, acquired
           long ago).

        2) How about netscape? Their generic386bsd binary does not
           want to run on my system.

        The next pertains to upgrading from 1.1.5.1 to 2.0:

        I have been happily running FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 for about 6 months now.
        I have a fairly mature system, and I am loathe to change, but the
	lack of shared memory and FIFO support is killing me [I understand
	shared memory is possible, but I never figured it out; the FIFO
	stuff was incomplete however, even if I compiled my kernel with the
	FIFO option]. So, I'm thinking about upgrading. My questions are:

	1) Should I go to 2.0-R or wait for 2.1 to stabilize or what?

	2) Does 2.0-R have built in support for the NCR SCSI controller? I
	   added this in myself last time, including several options.

	3) Will I still be able to run my 1.1.5.1 binaries? I have a LOT
	   of them.

	4) Is there a FAQ or something that addresses upgrading and how to
	   do it? I'm not even sure which distributions I'll need. I'm not
	   even sure if I can upgrade directly or not...

	5) Assuming I can upgrade, how much of my old filesystem do I need
	   to save, and need it all be renamed, in order for 1.1.5.1
	   binaries to coexist with the newer (entirely new) version of the
	   OS?  Will 1.1.5.1 libs and binaries need to be kept separately
	   from the new stuff?

	Sorry I have so many questons, but I am paranoid about trashing my
	filesystem or introducing too many bugs with a new kernel. I have
	been very pleased with the OS, and it is too useful for me to
	trash (not to mention the work I put into getting things "together").
	I haven't seen any real documentation except for installing from
	scratch, and I _really_ hope that's not my only option. Thanks for
	any and all help! Keep up the good work!

	Dimitrios Gerasimatos

	2) Does 2.0_R
	2) Does 2.0_R