Date:      24 Sep 2000 23:06:52 +0200
From:      Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is the Gigabyte GA 6VXC7 MB ok for FreeBSD ?

>>>>> "Rick" == Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com> writes:

Rick> 	It's not the chipset, but rather what is done with the
Rick> chipset. FIC, Tyan, Gigabyte, Asus, Soltek, Soho, etc, all use the same
Rick> chipsets for their products.

(...)

Rick> 	Please remeber you asked for opinions. I'm giving you my
Rick> experiences with these various brands of motherboards, and
Rick> almost 10 years of playing with PC hardware in some of the
Rick> roughest conditions.

Thanks again for your opinion : i've really understood what you think
of Gigabyte MB and i'm gonna ask my vendor if it possible to have
another brand ;-)

So, i repost my original question under another form (and with the same
bad english...) : i'm searching for experienced users of any
motherboard using the Apollo Pro chipset (VIA 694X) with FreeBSD... My
question is about UDMA support : do they fall back to 16 MB/sec or
not ?

As i suspect that's the case, and as i've noticed that near 90% of
recent MBs are using this chipset, is there a MB alternative (i815e
based MB like the ones that Dell provides ?) or is it possible to buy
another supported ATA controller (Promise, Highpoint) and plug it in
the MB in order to take advantage of UDMA with such MB ?

        Thanks again,
--
Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1273193519 secondes.