Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 14:24:54 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Mike <mikey@kappaisle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPN over PPPoE

Mike wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone ever successfully configured VPN (using IPSec protocol) over
> PPPoE connection?  I have 1 VPN configured over 2 locations with T1
> connections without any problem (using the KAME IPSec on FreeBSD
> 4.1.1).  However, when I tried the same configuration with the 3rd
> location running DSL, it seems the IPSec packets can't reach out via tun0
> device.

how are the T1 lines connected?
more details on the pppoe connection might be good too..
do you used the netgraph pppoe or the user-land pppoe front-end?

ppp over pppoe uses a slightly reduced MTU
that may have something to do with it, but I doubt it..

have you tried ipsec over ppp  with a dialup connection (if you have
one)?
maybe it's the ppp program having an argument with ipsec?
(One for Brian really..)
(I presume the pppoe connection is otherwise working ok)..

> I've searched through the FAQ and mailing lists, and seen people suggest
> "pipsecd" for VPN over PPPoE.  However, I do prefer using KAME IPSec for
> this type of implementation, and hope that someone can point me to some
> lights.
>
> Thank you all!
>
> Mike

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer