Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:26:51 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Liontaur <liontaur@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail server/webmail

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:39:26 -0700, Liontaur <liontaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to have a program that gets the mail from my ISP mail server
> (pop), stores the mail permanently,

This would be a task for fetchmail. It stores the mail
in mbox format in /var/mail/$USER, so you can chose any
mail program to incorporate them.

> allows me webmail access, and also lets
> me grab the mail with a mail client (Outlook Express).

Repeat after me: "Outlook Express" is NOT a mail client. :-)

> I'd like to be able
> to sync the mail with outlook express also.

Maybe you can get Redmond to give you the source code of
their... erm... stuff, so you can see how to interact
with it. :-)

I would suggest to use a standardized application, such
as M2 of Opera or Mozilla Thunderbird, or Sylpheed-Claws,
or pine, or mutt... there are many, and some of them are
even available in "Windows". Because they're using standard
mbox files for the mail messages, syncing them is quite
easy, because it can automatically be done on a per-file
basis. Another advantage of sticking to standards is that
you can instruct different mail applications to use the
same mbox files for their operations, in "mixed mode",
e. g. use Opera's M2 today, Thunderbird tomorrow, and
Sylpheed-Claws at the weekend.

> Like if I send a mail over
> webmail, that sent mail will also go into the sent box in outlook express,

I can't imagine how this should be possible. Call the
MICROS~1 hotline and ask them. :-)

> or conversly, perhaps store all the mail on the server and have outlook
> express just show the folders and contents stored on the server. But i'd
> have to somehow upload all of the mail currently in my outlook express. I'll
> also need some kind of spam functionality as I get a sizable amount of spam.
> Currently I use K9 for spam and I quite like it.

Under certain circumstances, it looks like a job for
an IMAP solution. Note that most of the things you've
mentioned are possible with standard UNIX mail applications,
because many stuff can be done on a per-file basis.
Regarding the part of a web interface, I'm sure there
are free webmailers that you can run on your server.
If your machine is not a server, your idea with keeping
local files and server files in sync is excellent.
There are good programs that cope with spam, such as
SpamAssassin, or simple filter rules in your preferred
mail application.

> Thanks for any help you can offer folks!

Well, I know that my comment isn't much help, but maybe
you find a starting point in it, and if it's only to
start *not* using "Outlook Express", because it solves
nothing. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany