Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 1995 11:53:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      john@starfire.mn.org
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD questions)
Subject:   Drawing IP addresses from a pool for dial-in SL/IP and PPP

I have a number of users that dial in for network access, far more than
I can assign IP addresses to.  My solution to this was to create a modified
sliplogin which will draw IP addresses from a bitmapped pool.  I also added
additional fprintf's to make the information available to the users' dialin
scripts to automatically adapt to the assigned IP address.  I give the
gateway IP also, but so far everyone is just using the IP of the ethernet
card in the host as their gateway address.

Now I wish to make PPP available in the same way, and I am wondering if I
will need to do the same thing, or if PPP has some mechanism for handling
that.

Actually, when it comes right down to it, I could use some help setting
up PPP for dial-in use on modem lines which are shared with FAX, SL/IP,
PPP, and regular login-users...

My current hunch is to set up a single special-purpose login, perhaps
with no password at all, and then require PAP or CHAP authentication
in pppd.  Comments/suggestions?

If anyone is interested in my IP-pooling sliplogin, they are welcome to
it.  Just e-mail me.

		   John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG		USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417