Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 09:31:30 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

>>> If half as much energy was spent adding the missing bits of
>>> functionality to the new systems as people have been spending
>>> complaining it then we'd be there ages ago.
>>
>> Not true.  It doesn't take a disk expert to complain about a policy,
>> but it takes one to fix bugs/add features to the existing driver. :)
>> :) :)
>
> That's ignoring the fact that it takes less energy to become enough of a
> "disk expert" to do something useful than it takes to engage in the sort
> of protracted whining that we're seeing.

That's simply not true.  It's taken me less than 5 minutes total to
respond to these silly emails, and it'd take me at least a week to get
familiar enough with the code to do anything useful, and another 3-4
weeks to get it past the maintainer's filters (validly so), because my
one week of understanding would be missing alot of lessons learned that
I'm not aware of.

However, it appears to be the mindset of the developers that the
problems that people complain about are either trivially easy to solve
that it's expected that unless they have a solution to it, they're
stupid.

Or, the problem is so hard that they want people not to complain unless
they have a solution for it, since expecting *THE DEVELOPERS* to solve
such a protracted and complex set of problems is ludicrous.  You must be
an idiot to not understand this, or a complete boob for expecting a
member of a volunteer project to spend his free time working on it.

In other words, and opion shared that is contrary to the developers
implies stupidity on the part of the user.  It's a no-win situation for
everyone involved.

Nate