Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 14:36:12 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to get xntpd to work

It has been my habit to chime my masters to more than one public
time source.  Xntpd uses an interpolation algorithm to converge on
the right time so more than one server makes the time more accurate.
Also more than one source makes the configuration more robust.
this way you can have a server fail and still stay in sync.

Go to http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2.htm and pick
three public servers to chime your primary.

If you are going to use 127.127.1.1 (the hardware cmos clock) then
you need to have it listed as a server.

    server 127.127.1.1
    fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

Stratum numbers give an indication about how close the clock is to
a real clock.  Stratum 1 is synced to an atomic clock, stratum 2
syncs from a stratum 1 clock, and so on.  Stratum 16 marks an
unusable clock. Your error message indicates that the client thinks
that server is unusable.

You should be able to achieve 1 millisecond stability quite easily
on a modern Intel based PC. That accracy is usually more than
reasonable when you are attempting to merge syslog style logs from
separate systems.

If you are a small network of 1 to say 20 systems then I'd set up one
master chiming three external sources and have all the internals
list the master as a server and eachother as peers.  That prevents
drift when the master source is unreachable. For more than 20
systems I'd have at least two systems that chime to external servers
and each other.  The set of external servers should be disjoint
between the servers.

Some people prefer to have one server chime externally then use timed
internally or use periodic calls to ntpdate.  This can work but it is
vulnerable to sync rot when the master is unreachable.

There are good discussions of all this stuff available on
    http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp

chris

Glenn Johnson writes:
    I am trying to set up time synchronization on 5 machines. What I want
    to do is have one machine, call it host0, sync to a public ntp server

    and have the other four machines, host{1,2,3,4} sync to the local xntpd
    server. I have read the xntpd(8) and searched the archives but can't get
    it.

    On host0 I have the following in '/etc/ntp.conf':

    server black-ice.cc.vt.edu
    driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
    fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 4

    After starting xntpd on host0 I tried 'ntpdate -q host0' on the other
    machines.  I get a message that host0 is stratum 16, followed by a 'no
    host suitable for synchronization message'. Why is host0 stratum 16?

    I did an ntpdate to the public server prior to starting xntpd to get the
    time right at the start.

    I have had xntpd running for several hours now and the driftfile that
    was created has the following contents:

    0.000 0

    That does not seem right. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Glenn Johnson
    gljohns@bellsouth.net