Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 19:18:31 +0400
From:      "Artem Tepponen" <temik@egartech.com>
To:        "Doug Barton" <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>, <arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Package system flaws?

You will achieve best compression with tar+(bzip2|gzip),
cause format that compresses individual pieces and makes
archive usually loses to make archive and compress to one
file kind of format. Exceptions are very rare.

The only problem is how to handle metadata piece that
have to have at least two properties:
1. It should be available without whole thing being decompressed.
2. It should be available asap in case of slow link.

Artem Tepponen