Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:37:43 +0800
From:      Lee Yoong Keok <leeyoong@comp.nus.edu.sg>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [4.1.1] boot error: "1FA:"

Hi, newbie to freeBSD here...

version tried: 4.1 and 4.1.1

HDD    : primary IDE
            - master 13GB
            - secondary 2.1GB
            - both used for windows
            - both have LBA support from BIOS
         secondary IDE
            - master: 1.7 GB
            - dont have LBA support, only CHS
            - but freeBSD installation detected CHS correctly
            - used entirely for a freeBSD slice
            - I've / and /boot as "a" and "e" paritions so
              I assumed that they are < 1024 cyc
         boot manager
            - choosen to install boot manager in both
              primary master and the freebsd drive.

problem: I got past the F1:/F5: prompt, BUT
         end up with "1FA:" prompt that fails to boot freeBSD
         (pressing any key displays the prompt once more)

         no problem booting to windows. (I installed windows first,
         then freebsd)

any ideas?

thanks in advance.