Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:23:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Marjory <jolicom@globalserve.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: would like to know

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Marjory wrote:

> I would like to know if freeBSD:
> - support multi boot (I have win95 an NT)

Definitely.

> - supports linux binaries ? how well? (i.e. could I run Blender , wine)

Yes, FreeBSD supports Linux binaries. Well enough to run Netscape, Quake2,
and Staroffice 4.

> - does it emulate windows?

I can be made to emulate the look and feel of the Winblows GUI.

> - what exacly are ports?

The ports are programs that have been ported from other
platforms/environments available for install on a FreeBSD system.

> - someone gave me freeBSD 2.2.6 should I upgrade.

Upgradeing is always nice, you probably don't NEED to, but I cvsup and
make world fairly regularly. (cvsup and makeworld are covered on
www.freebsd.org, and there are other ways of upgrading)

> -what are your X servers do you support KDE?

We support all sorts of X servers... KDE is not an X server.
We support KDE and a rather large variety of other window managers for X.

> - if I program under freeBSD will it be portable? how so?

It will be automatically portable between different versions of FreeBSD
(definetely on the same branch (as in 2.2.x) and possibly accross
branches). You can install a Linux develpoment environment and compile
Linux programs. If you write portable code (as in code that uses standard
functions and such) you should be able to compile it under most any UNIX
OS.

> Thank you

Welcome.

> Stephane

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@ix.netcom.com

		The majority only rules those who let them.