Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:15:07 -0500
From:      "John Telford" <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
To:        <net@freebsd.org>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Natd redirect_address bug ?

This is in reference to my post earlier this month "Natd redirect address
not working in 4.1.1 Help Please ??" and how I got it resolved. Credit for
the solution goes to Daniel Charboneau. I'm posting this to help others who
may encounter the same problem and also ask the seasoned pro's if this might
be a bug, or is it just how natd works ?
The brief story:
Using the redirect_address option with natd would not work to access a box
inside the firewall with a certain set of ip numbers. However it worked fine
using a different set of ip numbers. I re-created the problem on some spare
equipment. If anyone wants to investigate further drop me a note for the
numbers I was using.

This was resolved by Daniel's suggestion that I alias the address on my
public side, then redirect it to the private side address.
This is what went into my /etc./rc.conf:
natd_enable="YES"                # Enable natd (if firewall_enable == YES).
natd_interface="fxp0"           # Public interface or IPaddress to use.
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
#External Interface... the aliasing allows it to listen and respond to
multiple ip's on one NIC.
ifconfig_fxp0_alias0="inet 216.xxx.xxx.1 netmask 255.255.255.224" #public
natd interface
ifxonfig_fxp0_alias1="inet 216.xxx.xxx.2 netmask 255.255.255.224" #public ip
to be redirected in.
#Internal Interface
ifconfig_fxp1="inet 10.130.25.9 netmask 255.255.0.0"

And in /etc/natd.conf
redirect_address 10.130.5.2  216.xxx.xxx.2

Regards, John.