Date:      25 Sep 2001 10:56:05 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        joe@jwebmedia.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: export and putenv

Joseph Koenig <joe@jwebmedia.com> writes:

> I'm trying to set an environmental variable
> (ODBCINI=/usr/local/src/bin/odbc.ini) and I tried export
> ODBCINI=/usr/local/src/bin/odbc.ini and it says "command export not
> found". So I tried putenv("ODBCINI=/usr/local/src/bin/odbc.ini") and it
> says "Badly placed ()'s". What am I doing wrong? Thanks,

For starts, you haven't told us which environment you're discussing.

Guessing that you're in a csh-type shell at the command prompt, there
are no "export" and "putenv" commands.  You either should do some
reading of your shell's man page (esp. about the "setenv" command)
or switch shells to a sh-type shell.

You can probably learn your current shell with this command:

    echo $0 or $SHELL

You might also want to read the man page for "chsh".