Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2011 02:38:18 +0200
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Michael DeMan <freebsd@deman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tying down adaX to physical interfaces

--kkaprR7WznO6jOL+

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 05:21:50PM -0700, Michael DeMan wrote:
> Hi All,
>=20
> I seem to recall that there is a way to do this, but can no longer google=
 it.
>=20
> Basically, for NCQ support with SATA devices we are using the 'ada' drive=
r, which of course has SCSI like behavior.
>=20
> With two 8-port disk controllers in the system, we end up in the uncomfor=
table situation where if the box is rebooted with an 'earlier' drive in the=
 list, the system boots up with different drives mapped to adaX.  This beco=
mes more of a problem with multiple drive controllers and not all the ports=
 populated with drives at the start (i.e, add more drives later).
>=20
> In our case, we have two Marvell controllers, and are doing ZFS mirroring=
 with drives off each controller.
>=20
> We end up with mvsch.0 through mvsch.15 showing up (16 controller interfa=
ces), but with only 10 drives right now, we end up with ada0 through ada9. =
 If we lose a drive and reboot, then we end up with the upper ones each bei=
ng ada(X-1), etc.  If we add more drives, the situation becomes even more c=
onfusing.
>=20
> Is there a way to force at boot time a mapping from the mvsch interface t=
o the specific ada disk that the operating system sees?  Pretty sure I saw =
something about this last summer but can't seem to find it now.
>=20
> What we would like to have, with 10 disks, is them showing up as:
> ada0, ada1, ada2, ada3, ada4
> ada8, ada9, ada10, ada11, ada12
>=20
> If we add another pair of disks in the future, we would know where to phy=
sically insert them for ada5 and ada13, etc.

I use the following stanza in /boot/device.hints for machine with intel
on-board ahci and siis in pcie:
hint.scbus.0.at=3D"ahcich0"
hint.ada.0.at=3D"scbus0"
hint.scbus.1.at=3D"ahcich1"