Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:09:12 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        Rod Gilchrist <rod@borderware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   1.3.1 patchset 5 build problem

Rod Gilchrist writes:
 > I have a build problem with building jdk 1.3.1 with patchset 5.
 >
 > I've worked around it, but its in an area that's been patched
 > before so I thought I'd report it.
 >
 > With the ports lesstif-0.91.8 and XFree86-libraries-4.1.0
 > installed I get the following error when building the port jdk13:

I have never actually tried to compile with the lesstif port installed.
As far as I can tell from playing with the lesstif port, it has major
problems, especially in the installation area.

Did you install it with -DMOTIF2 on the make line? (i.e., "make -DMOTIF2
install"?)

I'm not sure that lesstif is completely motif 2.1 compatible.

All of our work with the JDK has been with the open-motif port.  I
recommend that you toss out lesstif and move to open-motif, unless you
have some sort of masochistic streak and enjoy beating your head against
a wall...

 > Constructing Javadoc information...

 > javadoc: In doclet class GenDocletBeanInfo,  method start has thrown an exceptio
 > n java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
 > java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/home/joeuser/s-dev/ports/java/jdk13/work/j2
 > sdk1.3.1/build/bsd-i386/lib/i386/libawt.so: /usr/home/joeuser/s-dev/ports/java/j
 > dk13/work/j2sdk1.3.1/build/bsd-i386/lib/i386/libawt.so: Undefined symbol "awt_ut
 > il_getIMStatusHeight"
 >
 > My fix is to add '|| defined(__FreeBSD__)' to the end of line 506 in
 >
 > ports/java/jdk13/work/j2sdk1.3.1/src/solaris/native/sun/awt/awt_util.c
 >
 > This works for me but obviously ignores some Motif subtlety that
 > has been patched around before...

I do not think that that patch is correct.  Obviously, the existing line
is looking for the symbol BSD_MOTIF21 to signal the presence of Motif
2.1 in some sort of broken way that lesstif does not comply with.  I am
sure that there are other problems with lesstif that you just haven't
discovered yet...

/Joe