Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:24:15 GMT
From:      bart.lateur@skynet.be (Bart Lateur)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: better bootloaders?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:34:56 +0200 (CEST), Christoph Kukulies wrote:

>Correct me if I'm wrong but given you have a 20 GB IDE disk with
>one half (the first half ) with a Win98 installed then there is no way
>with the present FreeBSD install disk set to boot a FreeBSD partition
>(installation) that is installed on the second half of that hard disk.

I'm pretty damn sure this is the same thing being asked here several
times a week: Your BSD root partition must be inside the first 1024
cylinders of the IDE disk on most (?) systems. It's a BIOS restriction,
i.e. before FreeBSD can even try to boot. The second half of a 20 GB
disk sounds like it's too far in the back of the disk.

The approach I would recommend, is  split the Windows partition into two
parts: a first smaller part, (primary partition), for booting purposes,
containing (mainly) the system, including the Windows directory. Next,
the FreeBSD partition; and finally another Windows partition, up to the
end of the disk. This would make a separate logical disk, from Windows'
point of view, where the user can store their data.

   HTH,
   Bart.