Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:32:22 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <danial_thom@yahoo.com>, "Heinrich Rebehn" <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Recommendation for 1000BASE-SX card?

After having fixed bugs in the bge driver I must stress
how wrong this statement is for the bge driver.  Bill
Paul may or may not have been associated with the bge driver,
whether he was or not is immaterial since the bge driver is
basically a port of the broadcom-supplied Linux driver,
the code is Broadcoms mostly, with hunks of Broadcom
code removed (like that dealing with the PHY's) when it
was too difficult to port. (apparently)  The quality of
the Broadcom driver isn't Bill Paul's, it's Broadcoms.

No, I can assure you that the reason the Broadcom
chips work like crap under FreeBSD is not due to Bill Paul,
it is because the Broadcom hardware iteself is pure, unadulterated,
stinking, bull crap.  It is crappy even under the supported operating
systems like Windows, it's craptitude reaches new heights on
the crap pile.  Broadcom missed their calling as an ethernet
chipset designer, they should have gone into making vacuum
cleaners, as they would certainly be the suckiest ones in
that business.

Ted