Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:44:54 -0600
From:      Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating Ports on 3.2

Hello all.
I'm using version 3.2 for learning purposes.
It is installed without problems. I just run on a problem when I tried this:

(from another message I read this:)

-----------------------------
-Hello
-you can use gunzip to extract apache or you can install apache using the
ports
collection.
-download the 9mb ports.tar.gz file from www.freebsd.org/ports/
- Issue the following command as root user
zcat ports.tar.gz | tar xvf - -C /usr/
- This will create /usr/ports/
- Now, type in /usr/ports/www/apache/
- Then type in make install
-----------------------

So I did it and worked fine. But when I wanted to do "make" on any port I
received a message telling me my system was too old and that I need to
upgrade and referred me to the http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ page. I read
there that I need to update the structure of my ports so I first installed :

3.2 to 3-stable upgrade kit
For users of 3.2-release or 3.2-stable after 3.2-release

but after that most of the ports don't install (exception was BIND9) and I
receive the following message:

tron# cd /usr/ports/mail
tron# cd majordomo
tron# make
Error: your port uses an old layout.  Please update it to match this
bsd.port.mk
.
*** Error code 1

On this point I don't know what path to follow. I sure could start from
zero again but I really would like to know what was my mistake.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

JB