Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 12:49:19 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Joel Eusebio <joel@tilapia.pang.pworld.net.ph>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: transparent proxy

On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 01:34:32PM +0000, Joel Eusebio wrote:
> Hi All,
> Do I have to tweak the GENERIC kernel on /usr/src/sys to activate ipfw

No, you can just load the KLD.

> and
> what does LINT do???

It is not a working kernel. It just lists all (pretty close to all
anyway) of the things you could put into a kernel config file and has
some useful comments.

> If so what are the values that I have to add in the
> GENERIC kernel or in the LINT in order for ipfw or natd to work???

Go to the LINT kernel and search for IPFIREWALL. Also, see ipfw(8),
natd(8), and divert(4).

> BTW I'm
> setting up a transparent proxy on my 4.0-stable and I've posted this
> before and tried the suggestions that was given to me by some helpfull
> people but still I can't make transparent proxy to run. Thanks again

Well, transparent proxies need more options to run, namely,
IPFIREWALL_FORWARD.

Copy GENERIC to some new file, the machine name is a popular choice,
add the lines you figure out you need, delete things that came from
GENERIC that you don't need, and build a new kernel.