Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2003 00:00:23 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>
To:        Tim Middleton <x@Vex.Net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make options (was Re: FreeBSD Port: mozilla-devel-1.4b)

in message <200306232250.11318.x@Vex.Net>, wrote Tim Middleton
thusly...

> This would be awesome. I notice some ports have a pop-up interface
> that lets you choose various options.

Oh crap!  I hate those dialog windows; i tolerate(d) it during
sysinstall.  I much prefer command line switch/option way.

> perhaps it could be standardized and called automatically?

...as long as it is not the only way and things can be
passed/specified/shown in pain text.

> For example, if you install the postfix port a popup comes up with
> check boxes asking whether you want LDAP, or to disable PCRE,
> a bunch of other options...

And that port is hard to build w/ options on the command line for
the same reason.  I rather not interact w/ port making.

> i wish more ports used this...  it would make life easier.

Yours, not mine.  My life will become a bitch.  Then again,
everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Actually, i would prefer a Makefile.local for each port w/ all the
options commented out and/or default/normal options chosen & the
rest commented out.  Of course, that would be most helpful when all
the ports take Makefile.local in account.  (Well, it doesn't exactly
have to be "Makefile.local", it could be some other mechanism/file,
which deals only w/ various knobs/options.)

  - Parv

--
A programmer, budding Unix system administrator, and amateur photographer
ISO employment...

  http://www103.pair.com/parv/work/