Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 00:15:17 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Branching www/ for XML development

--jZnw8Q/DKt8Pu8HW

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about branching www/ to do some XML development work.

Lately I've been looking at XML and XSLT as an alternative to the
existing approach we use of turning HTML files with additional SGML
content in to the standard HTML files we serve on the web.  We do this
using tools like sgmlnorm, and some Perl scripts here and there.

Lately, I've been experimenting with XML, and XSLT as an alternative.
For those that don't know, XSLT is a stylesheet language for XML.  It's
sort of like the XML equivalent of DSSSL offering similar features, but
a vastly different syntax.

We use this on the web site in a few places now.  For example, it's XSLT
stylesheets that generate the home page at the moment, including pulling
in data from other files to generate the list of headlines and press
articles.

I've started experimenting with various ways of doing this, and I'm
working my way through chunks of the website as I go.  You can see an
example look-and-feel at

    http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/snapshot7.png

At this stage this is still quite experimental.  And it's nowhere near
ready to be committed to the main web site yet.  But I would like other
people to start looking at it, and I do want the incremental changes
that are being made logged somewhere useful so that translation teams
can follow along.  I also want to make this more widely available so
that if my free time dries up for an extended period (something that
happens with monotonous regularity) other people can continue to drive
it forward.

So I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to branch www/, and start putting
some things on the branch for people to test and play around with.
Thoughts?

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--jZnw8Q/DKt8Pu8HW

--jZnw8Q/DKt8Pu8HW--