Date:      Mon, 07 Nov 2011 19:35:34 +0000
From:      Johannes Totz <jtotz@imperial.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS question - clones vs dedupe

On 31/10/2011 10:34, Ivan Natchkov wrote:
> Hello to everyone,
>
> I have the following situation. EVA 4000 with 3T disk space and one
> oracle DB 1,2T on a different storage. On our EVA we must keep copy of
> this DB with non stop applying of archive logs. In addition we need
> 3-4 development DB's plus 3-4 test DB's which are copies of the
> original 1,2T DB and are stored on the EVA. We are thinking about 2
> scenarios. 1) 8 clonings with keeping differences between the clonings
> 2) to have 8 different DB made with zfs send/receive on the same
> storage with deduplication switch ON.
>
> In both scenario we want the DB with applying logs to be with dedupe
> switched off because of the performance issues.
>
> I have 20 Gigs of RAM and the DDT table is possible to be kept in it
> with some tuning of sysctl.
>
> Which scenario would you recommend in terms of performance?

I don't understand your requirement, so cannot give a recommendation.

However, I've been playing with dedup for the past few weeks and so far
I have mixed feelings about it. There are some stability issues (zfs
bits keeps live-locking sometimes) and write-performance kinda sucks.
Especially deleting larger sets of data (like snapshots or big files)
takes ages, up to a point that makes SSH logins take a few minutes.
Also, after a crash it takes very long to boot up again, maybe because
it's rolling back some transactions or something...

I have about 1.5 TB of data, dedup ratio is around 1.7. The machine only
has 6 GB of RAM, and I've increased the metadata limit to 4 GB. However,
I log actual arc-size periodically and very often it's nowhere near its
limit...

Oh yeah, and there's lzjb compression as well. This prob adds a bit of
trouble, see compression thread from a few weeks ago.

Johannes