Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 17:57:04 -0500
From:      Keith Stevenson <keith.stevenson@louisville.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   AIX SIGDANGER (was Re: softdep panic due to blocked malloc)

This is a bit offtopic, but I couldn't help myself.  (I'm an AIX admin)

Quoting IBM's July 2000 system documentation CDROM:

  The system monitors the number of free paging space blocks and detects when
  a paging-space shortage exists. When the number of free paging-space blocks
  falls below a threshold known as the paging-space warning level, the system
  informs all processes (except kprocs) of this condition by sending the
  SIGDANGER signal. If the shortage continues and falls below a second
  threshold known as the paging-space kill level, the system sends the SIGKILL
  signal to processes that are the major users of paging space and that do
  not have a signal handler for the SIGDANGER signal (the default action for
  the SIGDANGER signal is to ignore the signal). The system continues sending
  SIGKILL signals until the number of free paging-space blocks is above the
  paging-space kill level.

So, SIGDANGER doesn't buy you much unless your applications have a handler for
it.  (In my experience, most don't.)  I was not very happy when I hit a low
memory situation and AIX started committing random acts of violence against
my process table.  The system ended up being so hosed, I had to reboot to
maintenance mode and repair a bunch of datafiles.  (One of our production
applications doesn't SIGKILL gracefully.)

I think that SIGDANGER would make a lot more sense if its default action was
the same as SIGTERM.  SIGKILL'ing everything in sight isn't a lot cleaner
(IMO) than letting the system crash.

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville