Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:03:36 -0500
From:      "Harris Kauffman" <hpk104@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hard write error in 4.2

I have attempted to install 4.2-release on a machine of
mine.  Most of the install goes fine, but I start to see
"HARD WRITE ERROR" 's during the remaking all devices
stage.  Upon reboot, I receive the same error during
activities which seem to need to write to the harddrive(
a vi session, installing a new kernel, etc).  This machine
was running 4.1.1(and 4.1 and 4.0 before that) with no
problems.

The errors disappeared when I went back to 4.1.1,
so I will run that for now... but does anyone know what
would cause those errors in 4.2, and how I can correct that?
The drive being installed on is an older western digital
drive(1.5 gig IDE), and I have tried turning DMA off in the
bios with no luck.

~Harris