Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 1997 23:52:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Jesse Alter <EndVoid@www.webcrunchers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Sat, 27 Dec 1997, Jesse Alter wrote:

> I am sorry for the unprofessional look of this email, but this message
> is important. I am the CEO of Endless Void Productions.
> (http://www.endvoid.base.org). I am trying to develop an operating
> system. My current team of programmers have not responded to any contact
> information, so I have decided to learn how to program better and take
> over the project myself, hiring a new team. I need some source code to
> start me off, so I was wondering if I could possibly have any source
> code of an operating system, BSD or not. I am willing to pay for this.
> Please assist me with my problem. Thank you very much in advance for any
> help you can provide.

Not to be impolite but it sounds like maybe you don't have a clear idea of
the magnitude of what you're discussing here.  Writing an OS is a
difficult thing.  Mostly it's done by teams of programmers, either
volunteer (like the FreeBSD, or OpenBSD, or NetBSD, or Jolt, of any of a
horde of other names) or by companies like Microsoft, Next, or Apple.
You'd have to be a combination of a really, really hot programmer and
extreme masochist with a guaranteed income flow for a year or so to do it
yourself.

Saying you could learn programming and write an OS is really a statement
that's so wildly unlikely, well, it's somewhat humorous.  I'm being a
little bit cruel here to show you that (while I'd encourage you to learn
more, it's a great idea) it's not really reasonable to do what you're
suggesting.

Why don't you enumerate what you want in an OS, and lets see if maybe our
free Unix OS, FreeBSD, can perhaps suffice in some way?  If it doesn't hit
in directly, seeing as the source code to all of FreeBSD is publicly
available, you can probably either hire someone to make the modifications
you desire, or maybe even learn enough to do that yourself.  Hard, but a
much more reasonable goal.

Or if perhaps FreeBSD is unsuitable, we'll tell you so, and probably at
least point you in the right direction.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |