Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 18:19:15 -0800
From:      "3phase" <phase3@worldnet.att.net>
To:        <UNIXfreak@normalpeoplescareme.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager PLEASE  HELP!!

----- Original Message -----
From: "UNIX Freak" <UNIXfreak@normalpeoplescareme.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2001 12:36 AM
Subject: Boot Manager PLEASE HELP!!

> PLEASE HELP
> I installed FreeBSD on my laptop computer but I traded it in
> for a new Compaq Presario computer with a 1GHz AMD
> (Athlon I believe) processor in it.
> I have experienced this problem on a DELL computer as well.
> FreeBSD installs well and fully with no probelms but when I
> restart my computer and the Boot Manager (that thing that does:
>
> DOS F1
> FreeBSD F3
>
> Default: F1
>
> ) at least I guess thats the boot manager.
> But any way when I press the F3 key it doesn't load BSD it just
> sits there and acts stupid until I press F1 to load DOS in the
> system BIOS setup I have the OTHER hard drive configuration
> that says its for UNIX etc. and even reinstalled with those
> settings but I can't get it to run FreeBSD I am using a Microsoft
> Natural keyboard but some tech guy said that that shouldn't
> matter "It's just like any other keyboard but its split alittle"

Your Presario may be expecting the Compaq keyboard.
Compaq makes nice keyboards but they are a little different.

Check out alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq or www.compaq.com for
more information about changing your keyboard.

It is a frequently asked question. Unfortunately, no one has put
together a FAQ and very few posters use FreeBSD or Linux.
Many of them are still trying to figure out how to use their Win98
Restore disks.

FWIW I have a Microsoft Internet Pro keyboard on my Compaq.
It works flawlessly with Win98 and FreeBSD.

I probably shouldn't but I use the Microsoft Natural keyboard
template for X, too, and it works fine.

I have not yet gotten around to enabling all the nifty buttons
for FreeBSD but the keyboard itself is a gem - except for the
F-Keys being on the wrong side of the keyboard.

> And it should be mapped because the F1 button works to
> get to DOS(Windows)
> PLEASE HELP ME
> I'll wright back to replies with as much info as you need to
> help me. THANKS
>                John

Your BIOS may only boot < 1024 cylinders on the drive.
Where, physically, did you install FreeBSD?

-3p