Date:      Sat, 2 May 2009 20:30:34 +0200
From:      Olivier SMEDTS <olivier@gid0.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VIMAGE status

2009/5/2 Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>:
> The VIMAGE code is nearly all in the the kernel.
>
> One is now able to make VIMAGE kernels (add options VIMAGE)
> though they don't actually allow you to make multiple
> vimages instances yet..
>
> The VIMAGE option enables all the low level changes needed
> throughout the kernel.
>
> The VIMAGE_GLOBALS option basically sets thing sback to how they were
> before.
>
> Having neither (the default) gives a kernel that is a kind of hybrid.
>
> The Hybrid state is what will go forward as 'NON-VIMAGE' mode
> and the VIMAGE_GLOBALS mode will probably go away in time as
> it complicates the code.
>
> The aim of this mail is to ask people to try add the VIMAGE option
> to their regular kernels and try use them as you woudl normally.
> You will not yet be able to use any new VIMAGE features but we
> should be fully compatible with previous kernels.

Here is a warning I have when building kernel with options VIMAGE and INET6=
 :

cc -c -O2 -pipe -march=3Dnative -fno-strict-aliasing -std=3Dc99 -g -Wall
-Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -Wundef
-Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -nostdinc  -I.  -I/work/src/sys
-I/work/src/sys/contrib/altq -D_KERNEL -DHAVE_KERNEL_OPTION_HEADERS
-include opt_global.h -fno-common -finline-limit=3D8000 --param
inline-unit-growth=3D100 --param large-function-growth=3D1000
-mcmodel=3Dkernel -mno-red-zone  -mfpmath=3D387 -mno-sse -mno-sse2
-mno-sse3 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow  -msoft-float
-fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -fstack-protector
-Werror  /work/src/sys/netinet6/mld6.c
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/work/src/sys/netinet6/mld6.c: In function 'vnet_mld_idetach':
/work/src/sys/netinet6/mld6.c:3145: warning: unused variable 'vnet_inet6'
*** Error code 1

> THEORETICALLY you should not see any changes in behaviour, however we hav=
> the following issues:
>
> * SCTP is not fully converted yet. add 'nooptions SCTP' for now if you
> =A0are not using it yet.
>
> * An NFS (crash) issue was reported. This MAY have been fixed...
>

> Theory tells us that all three kernel options should behave about the sam=
> but if you do try this, and have any benchmarking facilities,
> it would be incredibly useful if you could let us know if you see any
> performance changes between the three.
>

> thanks,
>
> Julian (currently running a VIMAGE kernel myself)
"

--=20
Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
e-mail: olivier@gid0.org        - against HTML email & vCards  X
www: http://www.gid0.org    - against proprietary attachments / \

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."