Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 20:30:43 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: some performance issues

R Joseph Wright wrote:

> > A IDE HD that is capable of UDMA33 will produce much different results
> > than one that is only capable of 16MB/s. The flags on your IDE
> > controller can change through put by a factor of 4x.
>
> > Kent
> >
> The flags for my IDE controllers are 0x80ff80ff.  I read somewhere that
> this allowed the maximum transfer of information.  Is this correct?  I
> had trouble understanding that section of the book The Complete FreeBSD.

The 0x2000 allows IDE DMA transfers and that could be part of your
problem. Some drives like that setting and some systems don't. It is
something that you can try by seting it at boot time. If it works,
then you build it into your kernel. My drives are all 0xa0ffa0ff.
8+2=a.

Kent

> Thanks, Joseph.
> --
>         You will do foolish things,
>      but do them with enthusiasm.  Colette.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html