Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:28:23 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some conceptional questions about partition size

"O. Hartmann" wrote:
> We do not use a dedicated mailing service, sendmail is udefull for our purposes.
> As I saw in the past, many system relevant informations are stored away in
> /var, printing, some system's databases and especially /var/tmp.
>
> At this moment, I use a 2GB partition to keep all this informations, but I ran
> into problems when users did big print jobs which are spooled and gzip.tar'ing
> files. My question is: what is a reasonable size for /var?

I don't know if there's any pat answer for that. Depending on what your
system is doing will determine what size partition you need. I have a
particular system that has a 500M /var partition and then a 3G /var/mail
parition because the engineers/artists that work there are always
sending/receiving tons of large emails. It's not unusual for a single
mailbox to exceed 2M over the course of the day.

> As we move now toward a RAID, several aspects shown above become irrelevant/obsolet.
> So, my question for that is: is it a good task to "melt together" all
> system's directories together into a big partition, say, mounted as / ?

The big disadvantage to this is that if something being written to /var
corrupts the filesystem, you could have an unbootable system. Whereas if
/ and /var are seperate, a corrupt /var filesystem will still allow
boot, and you can fairly easily rebuild /var and get up and running
again.
Another reason I split filesystems is to achieve a simplified quota
mechanism. For example, if the machine above were to get spammed with
email that acutally filled the 3G partition, it would still be able to
log to /var, wouldn't crash, and the other services (http, proxy, ftp)
would continue uninterupted.
I usually split by purpose. It sounds like you've got a good concept of
what you want to do. You should probably quit second-guessing yourself.
Another thing I try to do is always have some extra disk space in
reserve. If I think I'll need 6G for a system, I make sure to get at
least 8G drives. And I leave the last 2G of space unallocated. That way
if I find I misjudged a filesystem size I can mount some extra space
there quickly.

> Linux seems to do the same way this task, but in many aspects I'm not familiar with
> Linux' way of doing jobs and it seems that this very often aspects of security,
> if there are really some, are not been payed attention of (English for the impatient,
> sorry ...).

Don't apologize, your English is pretty good.

Hope this makes some sense, and I'm open to further discussion on the
topic.

-Bill