Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 2020 00:56:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster new development

On 27 Dec, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> How is poudriere in that regard?  I never used poudriere, have been
>> intimidated by not wanting to use zfs or dialog4ports, or such an
>> elaborate setup just to update one or a few ports.
>
> poudriere is really, really useful. Because it delivers a complete,
> consistent package repo of all the ports (with individual options).
> And it does so repeatable, down to one or several seperate os versions
> to build for or a specific point in time for the ports tree,
> with some individual options etc.
>
>> I found that poudriere uses dialog4ports; I much prefer to save
>> options in a file such as Gentoo Linux does with make.conf and
>> (NetBSD) pkgsrc does with mk.conf .
>
> That works as well. I have a checkout of the ports tree, use
> make config to define non-default port options. This stores the
> selected OPTIONs in /var/db/ports/, and poudriere uses those options
> just fine.

I set the options in /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/make.conf.  It is easier
to set options consistently across ports, for instance enabling CUPS
globally, than with dialog4ports, while also allowing per-port option
setting.  It is also possible to have multiple option settings for
different OS versions, arches, or option sets contained in different
make.conf files.