Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:06:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonz@netrail.net>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, toor@dyson.iquest.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFS?

On the BSDi mailing list we recently discussed the face that you can add a
mlock() command to the mount_mfs code that will lock the pages in memory,
thus making it non-swappable.

Thank you,

Jonathan A. Zdziarski
Systems Administrator
Netrail Incorporated
888-NETRAIL
jonz@netrail.net

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 dyson@iquest.net wrote:

:>
:> At 03:05 PM 3/11/98 -0500, dyson@iquest.net wrote:
:> >> I've been wondering if there is a size limit to MFS, besides the total amount of physical memory. :)
:> >>
:> >The size of swap.
:>
:> So with 1GB of memory and 500MB of swap I can MFS 500MB?
:>
:> Anyone done this?
:>
:> With some scripting to save data periodically this would make for a fast site, especially if a lot of data needs to be searched.
:>
:> The most I've seen used is 64MB on a news box.
:>
:Okay, I parsed your question precisely, and perhaps shouldn't have.
:
:You MUST have at least the same amount of swap as memory, period, unless
:you have a well controlled embedded application.  The best rule of thumb
:is swap = 2 * memory for large systems, but even that is not always good.
:
:MFS is backed by swap just like anonymous pages in processes.  So, MFS
:is limited by the same memory limitations as processes are.  I know that
:I have had at least a 500MB MFS working.  Note that I have a system
:with 200MB+ of ram, and 1.2GB of swap.
:
:John
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message
: