Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:04:06 -0600
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is this possible:  webmail and other mail clients

I would like to setup a mail server running IMAP that is also accessible
through a number of mail clients.  I know that through IMAP, I should be
able to access mail through clients such as Pine, Netscape, Eudora, etc.  I
would also like to add a webmail front-end so that users can also access
their mail this way.  I've seen several WebMail packages named here but a
number of them store messages in something like MySQL or an internal database.

The reason for this is that we sometimes need to travel around from
location to location, sometimes having our computers sometimes not.  We
usually are in a location that may have an ssh client, so we could connect
to our machines and use pine (no telnet allowed), but that we know will
always have a web browser.  We'd like the web client to access the existing
mailboxes and when done, leave them in such a way that they can still be
accessed through other IMAP capable clients.

As I said, I've found some webmail packages mentioned in the archives but
some use a proprietary mailbox format.  I'm currently downloading IMP,
NWEbMail, and AtDot.

Any information would be appreciated.

Oscar