Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 21:28:47 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
To:        william woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Downgrade ????

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 02:49:49PM -0700, william woods wrote:

> OK, this is kinda a crazy questions, but..what the hell....

...snip...

> How possible is it to cvsup stable ( I would blow away /uusr/src
> first) and then do a make world and have a 3.2-stable system or should
> I just re-install 3.2-stable?

I think it would be better if you did a binary upgrade. That way you
don't have to worry about build tools from CURRENT doing something
funny to your 'make world'. In either case you will want to remove
libraries from CURRENT not present in STABLE and any that may have had a
version bump for CURRENT, ie. libfoo.so.1 in STABLE was libfoo.so.2 in
CURRENT. Any ports that you compiled with c++ in CURRENT will have to be
recompiled after you downgrade. Those are the types of issues I think
you will run into. Doing the binary upgrade should preserve your /etc so
your password database should be OK. It would of course be prudent to
back up /etc anyway.

Good luck.

--
Glenn Johnson