Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2019 12:14:01 -0600
From:      Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A bounty of 450 (was $100) for rtsx SD card reader driver.

> On Nov 2, 2019, at 10:51 AM, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> And just how do you draw the line between "I looked at the linux code as a=
 source of information" and "I copied the linux code in violation of its GPL=
 license" ?

(I am not a lawyer, and if I was, I am not your lawyer...)

If you copy, then you are subject to whatever license you got with the origi=
nal code.=20

One of the normal legal tests (in copyright law, but not, say, patent law) i=
s that what=E2=80=99s in your head is yours. Copyright only covers the expre=
ssion of an idea in a fixed medium.=20

So you can study the code (assuming that you have legal access), gain unders=
tanding,  and write your own implementation, using only that understanding.

One of the huge =E2=80=9Cgotchas=E2=80=9D is if copying of non-functional el=
ements of the source code occurs.  These include things like comments, varia=
ble names, indentation style, etc.=20

To that end, a certain other BSD project once copied unpublished code to a W=
iFi driver and, =E2=80=9CTada!!=E2=80=9D published the result, claiming reve=
rse-engineering.=20

Only they even left the comments intact.=20

When challenged on this, the other BSD project had the audacity to get SFLC (=
the people who sue over the GPL)  to step in and say it was all OK.  To be c=
lear, neither the original source, nor the =E2=80=9Cderived=E2=80=9D code wa=
s/is GPL licensed.=20

One of the best ever FreeBSD Developers now works on Linux full-time in part=
 due to this incident.

And so it goes...

So even if you don=E2=80=99t step on a landmine when copying GPL (or other) c=
ode, you might step in s***. =20

Best to be careful and keep it clean, right?