Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:53:56 -0700
From:      Jeff Kletsky <Jeff@Wagsky.com>
To:        Phil Allsopp <phil@virtek.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: twin network cards in one PC

>When I put two network cards in one Pc and both cards are on the same
>subnet ie. 194.159.112.3 and
>194.159.112.4
>
>I can not ping one of the cards wheras if I have one of the cards set to
>192.168.1.1
>
>I can ping them both.
>
>Why is this ?

Try looking at your firewall configuration (pointed to in /etc/rc.conf) to
make sure that the addresses both permit the proper flow of packets.  Stock
FreeBSD configurations only expect one IP address.

If that doesn't help, you might look at the package 'icmpinfo' which will
let you "see" the ping packets as they come and go.

You can also set logging with 'ipfw' -- lines like

ipfw add 1 count log any from any to any via (your interface device #1)
ipfw add 1 count log any from any to any via (your interface device #2)

should provide lots of debugging help.

Jeff