Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 13:29:17 -0800
From:      Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        taxman <taxman@acd.net>
Cc:        "Miroslaw J. Wiechowski" <mjw@bahnhof.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel i810e graphic

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 01:43:33PM -0500, taxman wrote:
> On Saturday 08 March 2003 06:33 am, Miroslaw J. Wiechowski wrote:
>
> > The system installation program does not give me any
> > working configuration. The best I could get was some
> > ugly display with standard VGA, configured by XFree86 -configure.
> >
> > Did anyone succeed with this Intel i810e chip and 1024x768
> > resolution at all?
>
> Getting hardware detection working well for every single chipset out there is
> pretty tough.   The i810 is pretty common, but pretty wacky too it seems.
>
> This'll sound funny, but try knoppix.  It has amazing hardware autodetection.
> Boot with it then save your Xfree config file (it's in the same place) to
> floppy or something.  Copy that over to FreeBSD and it'll likely work once
> you've followed the other suggestions people have had.  You may need to edit
> out some of the font dir's that aren't installed on your FreeBSD system, but
> that should be about it.
>
> get knoppix at:
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
> or google for knoppix mini iso, as there are some of those out there for a
> smaller download.
>
> Anyway that's how i finally got my Xfree config to work perfectly with my
> monitor/video card

	I assume that "knoppix" fits onto a CDROM.... (without having
	checked).  IIRC (and who knows?) I believe I had my i815 working
	at 1280x1024 before my 17" tube went south--(bad v. regulator)--
	and I had to use a 15" generic CRT at 1024x768.

	With the expertise that has been share around on this list
	re the i810, I've got my /etc/XF86Config working at 1024x768.
	(I'll share it with anyone who wants or post it on my website
	and give the URL....)

	I have a 19" tube now, and would like to drive it at a higher
	resolution.  Nothing I seem to know, tho, seems to get me more
	than 1024x768.

	(??)

	gary

--