Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:48:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>, shigeru@iij.ad.jp, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch for wi driver

Warner Losh writes:
| In message <20001212093716.A20242@Odin.AC.HMC.Edu> Brooks Davis writes:
| : back of the card via a cable.  There is actually a punched hole on the
| : back for a second antenna, but I'm pretty sure you must get a firmware
| : upgrade to make it work.
|
| So where do I get firmware upgrades?  Where do I find out how to
| upgrade the firmware?  How do I find what firmware I'm running?

I guess you ignored me in one of the notes your replied to me I asked
a directly related question in regards to this :-(

You can get the Aironet firmware from the Aironet web site.  I had to
upgrade an old card for some WEP issues.  As to download the firmware
you currently need the Windows utility (there might be a DOS one).
Dave at Cisco has talked about writing a firmware download utility for
FreeBSD and I have some motivation as well.  One of the issues is that
we need to mess with the PCMCIA interface to bring up the card in "firmware
download" mode.  This is done via a sequence of power, reset and maybe
some other lines.  Then some things have to be read from the CIS and
then packets can be downloaded to it.

Since I haven't dug around in the pccard code for a while could you give
some high level "I think this might be an issue here ... look here"?
Would be helpfull.   I'm going to look at pccardc since it does some
stuff like this.

Now I'm not sure how the PCI/ISA bus version does this.  Since I don't
have a card it's hard for me to tell.  I guess I may have to go buy a
PCI version so I can test Aironet patches with that.  Currently I
just stuck a PCMCIA version in an ISA to PCMCIA adapter since it
cost less.

Doug A.