Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 20:57:48 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Narrow SCSI controllers, and using WIDE drives with them

Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth writes:
> > Dan Strick writes:
> > > It ought to work by default.  If not, you may be able to tell the
> > > host adapter via its BIOS interface to only do narrow transfers
> > > with specific SCSI devices.
> >
> > That's sorta hard to do with a narrow controller as all I've seen are
> > not capable of wide negotiations therefore its not an option.
> >
> > My 2940 (narrow with the 7860 chipset and BIOS 1.21) didn't like a wide
> > drive that was attached.
> >

> Having started this debate, I'd like to say that I'm buying an Ultra-Wide
> controller (NCR-875) to go with the NCR-810 which has the narrow devices on
> it. I've been offered the use of an IBM 4.3GB UW drive from work. I have to
> boot out a PCI ethernet card, but as the box in question isn't going to be
> hooked up to a home 100Mbit network in the immediate future, it's not a
> problem. From what people have been saying, it seems like a lot of grief is
> involved in mxing wide & narrow devices on the same bus.

While I have not been able to put wide devices on a narrow controller,
I have had no trouble putting narrow devices on a wide controller.
Favorite way to do it is to use a wide internal cable all the way, with
a wide device at the end and its internal termination enabled. Then
put the narrow devices in the middle with $13 adapters from
http://www.asacomputers.com/ (and certianly elsewhere).

What works almost as good is to use both the narrow and wide internal
connectors on the Asus SC875. But then you can't use the external
connector ("Thou Shall Not Make A 'T' Of Thine SCSI Bus").