Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:47:08 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        "Todd Reed" <ex279@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup Procedures

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 15:34, Todd Reed wrote:
> How do others backup their system?  I mean, do you kick off all users, deny
> logins, or does the system get backed up while users are logged in and
> working?
>
> What are the procedures?

Depends on what you're talking about.  Of all the file servers I'm running, I'm
lucky that they all have considerable dead time during the night (i.e., nobody is
working on them at night) so I just schedule the backup to run at 1:00 AM or
so.
The only server I have that gets used 24/7 is a MySQL db server, so for that
I use the mysqldump command, which uses file locking to get a consistent
backup of the data.

Obviously, your needs may necessitate other measures.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services