Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:32:56 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@ida.interface-business.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with AIC7770-based controller on -current

As Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >after upgrading this old EISA machine to -current (as of a couple of
> >days ago), it no longer works.  First there was a typo in eisaconf.c
> >(i just committed a fix), but now that it at least scans the EISA bus
> >again, the ahc driver no longer wants to talk to my disks.
>
> Are you still having problems with this?  My last commit to -stable
> should have corrected a fairly serious issue with twin eisa controllers.

Problems vanished after CVS upgrading this morning.  Do you want me to
try those fixes on -current anyway?

Well, almost.  After reading a bunch of old commit mails, i'm now
fairly positive the problem is not ahc(4)- but SMPNG-related.
Whatever it has been, one of the commits made at last weekend must
have fixed something like interrupt routing for this old Saturn-based
dual Pentium machine.  The kernel now at least boots again.  (For the
folks on -smp: before, it timed out at any access to the SCSI
controller, so i couldn't even get a single-user shell to run.)

Still, the SMPNG kernel is anything else but stable, but that doesn't
seem to be unexpected. :)  It sometimes panics right before even
displaying the kernel's copyright notice, the crash then happens
somehewhere in module_register().  At other occasions, it crashed
later during fsck, or even later while running /etc/rc, so i resorted
to build a kernel without SMP now in order to get a working
environment at all.  I'll see to cvs update again in order to not
stumble across problems that have already been fixed since.

[Reminder: i'm not subscribed to either list, so if you want me to see
the replies, retain me in the Cc list, please.]
--
J"org Wunsch					       Unix support engineer
joerg_wunsch@interface-systems.de         http://www.interface-systems.de/~j