Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:41:03 -0500
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@netzuno.com>
To:        "Julian Elischer" <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        "Luigi Rizzo" <rizzo@aciri.org>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, <richw@webcom.com>, <julian@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: BRIDGE breaks ARP? (more info)

Hi Julian,

> > Yep this seems to be fixing my problem here. I actually reimplemented
> > Julian's patch on a test system here, but luckily did not get
> confused by
> > the order of the test (the first test should be if(do_bridge ||
> ...) rather
> > than if (!do_bridge)).
> >
> > To Julian's defence, the use of a #ifdef BRIDGE in one place and $ifndef
> > BRIDGE in the other place was confusing though.
>
> no, the problem is that I didn't test the 'obvious' case because it
>  was 'obvious' (and wrong)
>

> > Patrick.
>
> reimplememted?

Yep I started from revision 1.64.2.5 of if_ether.c last night, and
implemented what you tried to do in 1.64.2.6. I came up with the fix that
you just sent to the list a few minutes ago, and it seems to be working
better for me.

As you said, the test in 1.64.2.6 is wrong, the one you sent earlier is the
right one.

The reason why I said that #ifndef BRIDGE was being confusing is that it
really should have been a #ifdef BRIDGE, followed by a "if (!do_bridge)"
(this is the second part of the patch). Whereas the first part of the patch
is definitelly  "if (do_bridge || ...)" as fixed in your post.

Anyway, my test machine here seems happy now. I'll retest at some other
places where I have been experiencing the same problem and I'll keep you
updated if anything bad happens.

Patrick.